Wash and dry the apples. Make sure to thoroughly dry the apples. You don’t want the apple to slip out of your hand! Using a sharp knife, carefully trace a center around the edge of the apple and use a spoon to scoop out the insides.
12 apples (Granny smith, gala, Red delicious), insides only
1 orange, cut into quarters
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cinnamon sticks (more for garnishing)
1/2 Tbsp cloves
1/2 Tsp whole allspice
Water, to cover the apples
- Set aside the ‘apple cups’. You can sprinkle lemon juice over the apples to prevent browning.
- Bring the apple pulp, water, orange quarters, brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, cloves, and whole allspice to a boil.
- Stir occasionally and allow to simmer for 2 hours.
- Using a potato masher or a fork, mash the apples and oranges until soft.
- Allow the cider to come to room temperature before straining.
- Pop the apple cups in the oven or fridge to serve warm or chilled. Garnish with a cinnamon stick, which doubles as a stirring stick.
via A Taste Of Koko